The Community for New Direction (CND)’s Story
In 1989, residents living in Franklinton, west of downtown Columbus, OH felt that a lack of positive opportunities in the community resulted in too many youth turning to the negative choices of drugs, alcohol, gang activities and crime. So, from a two-bedroom apartment in the Sullivant Gardens Housing Development, The Community for New Direction (CND) began as a volunteer-run program providing youth development and prevention programming to high-risk youth. The program focused on building relationships with youth and began to demonstrate success. In 1995, the program incorporated as a 501C-3 non-profit agency. As a result of its continued success, the Franklin County ADAMH Board asked the agency to open another office and expand its services to the near eastside.
In 2010, The Prevention Council of Central Ohio’s Board of Directors voted to pursue a merger of its programs and funding with the Community for New Direction. Today as a result of the merger, CND serves over 1500 youth a year. After 25 years of serving youth, in 2014 CND added outpatient treatment to provide a safe haven where adults can find the support they need to make healthy choices that will strengthen their connections to a better life.